Which Is Best for You? Invisalign vs. Porcelain Veneers
You can have a more attractive smile with cosmetic dentistry. But when you talk with your dentist, you’ll find out that various treatment options can achieve similar results, at least esthetically. Two of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments include Invisalign® clear aligners and custom-made porcelain veneers.
In this blog post, we discuss Invisalign vs. porcelain veneers. Read on to learn:
- how the treatments work,
- which cosmetic issues are corrected by each,
- and the pros and cons of each.
At Kellyn Hodges Orthodontics, serving Philadelphia, PA, Bensalem, PA, and Bala Cynwyd, PA, we offer many cosmetic options to straighten your teeth and help you achieve better oral health.
How Invisalign Works
A revolutionary orthodontic system, Invisalign relies on clear aligners instead of brackets and wires to shift teeth into their preferred positions. Digital technology is used to design a custom treatment plan and fabricate the aligners that will achieve desired results.
Benefits of Invisalign
- Straightens teeth in less time than traditional braces
- No brackets, wires, bands, or tightening appointments required
- Tooth structure is not altered
- Clear, removable aligners are inconspicuous and can be taken off at any time
- The material Invisalign aligners are made of is pliable and comfortable
- Invisalign can address bite issues, called malocclusion, by correcting the relationship between upper and lower teeth in the front or back of the mouth
Think about This
- Aligners must be worn 22 hours a day to remain on track with the treatment completion date
- If you don’t wear the aligners as often as directed, your teeth can relapse
- Because they are removable, aligners may be lost or damaged when not in your mouth
- Dental visits every four to six weeks are required to track progress and provide you with the next set (or few sets) of aligners
- The treatment takes up to 18 months, but less in some cases
- Patients who wear their retainer as prescribed (after treatment is completed) can maintain results for life
How Porcelain Veneers Work
Offering instant results, porcelain veneers cover the front surface of teeth that show when a person smiles. The veneers create a uniform appearance by improving one or more of these attributes: size, shape, alignment, or color.
Benefits of Veneers
- In two to three appointments, the procedure will be completed
- No-follow up visits are necessary
- No orthodontics are involved (brackets, wires, bands, or aligners)
- They correct more cosmetic issues than misalignment of teeth
Think about This
- Teeth must be shaved down to accommodate veneers; this procedure is irreversible so the patient will always need veneers or crowns on the treated teeth
- Veneers last up to 20 years
- If they are damaged, veneers will need replacing
- Veneers do not address malocclusion and other orthodontic issues; they are not an orthodontic treatment
Schedule Your Consultation
Do you still have questions? Want an expert opinion? Call us at (610) 617-0700 or contact us online to schedule a consultation at our practice.