How Long Does Teeth Whitening Last?
Yellow, discolored teeth can make the smile look less than perfect. Teeth whitening is fast and effective at lifting years of dental stains to reveal a more vibrant and attractive smile. Professional teeth whitening from Kellyn Hodges Orthodontics can brighten the teeth up to 9 shades in as little as one hour.
Teeth whitening is an easy way to enhance the smile but results are not permanent. So how long does teeth whitening last for our Philadelphia, PA, Bala Cynwyd, PA, and Bensalem, PA, patients? There isn’t one exact answer but there are ways to help prolong results. Read on to learn more.
Professional Teeth Whitening Is Long Lasting
Professional teeth whitening is more effective and long lasting than at-home treatments and can last between 6 months to 3 years. Just how long results last is largely dependent on aftercare and maintenance.
Failure to stop smoking, regularly consuming darkly pigmented foods and drinks, or not properly taking care of the teeth can all cause the teeth to become discolored and shorten whitening results.
Preventing Stains Will Prolong Results
Preventing stains and properly caring for the teeth can help prolong the results of whitening treatment. Some ways to maintain and prolong whitening results include:
- Avoid dark foods and drinks: Dark foods and drinks, like coffee, red wine, blackberries, and tomato sauce can stain the teeth. Limiting or avoiding these types of foods and drinks can help keep the teeth looking their best.
- Brush after eating: Brushing after eating can help prevent food debris from discoloring the teeth. This is especially beneficial after consuming dark colored foods and drinks.
- Rinse your mouth with water: If you’re unable to brush your teeth after eating, consider rinsing your mouth with water to remove food remnants and reduce the risk of stains.
- Practice good oral hygiene: Good oral hygiene is essential for prolonging whitening results as well as protecting oral health. Good oral hygiene includes brushing at least twice a day, flossing at least once a day, and scheduling regular dental exams and cleanings.
- Brush with a whitening toothpaste: Brushing with an over-the-counter whitening toothpaste can help prevent stains and prolong results after teeth whitening.
- Don’t smoke or use tobacco products: Smoking and using tobacco products can quickly stain the teeth. Avoid smoking or tobacco use to keep the teeth looking their best.
Teeth Whitening Can Be Repeated to Maintain Results
One of the benefits of teeth whitening is that it can be repeated to maintain results. Professional teeth whitening is safer than store-bought products that often use harsh chemicals that can damage the enamel and cause gum irritation. Professional whitening treatments are gentle on the teeth and gums while also providing better results.
Because professional teeth whitening is so safe, it can be repeated as needed to keep the smile a vibrant white.
Find Out if Teeth Whitening Is Right for You
If you are unhappy with dental stains and discoloration, teeth whitening may be right for you. Schedule a consultation at Kellyn Hodges Orthodontics to find out.