Clear Braces for Adults
Today, many adults are taking advantage of orthodontic treatment. Fortunately, there are more options than ever before. Clear braces are an excellent choice for patients who prefer more discreet treatment. At Hodges Orthodontics, serving patients in Philadelphia, PA, Bala Cynwyd, PA, and Bensalem, PA, we offer several clear braces options. Here, we will explore the most common types of clear braces for adults and explore benefits, maintenance, and candidacy.
Types of Clear Braces for Adults
Several clear orthodontic systems have been developed over the years. Most of them consist of clear ceramic brackets and tooth-colored wires. The Damon® Clear™ system is self-ligating, which means less frequent visits to the orthodontist. They are also considered more comfortable than traditional braces due to their patented slide mechanism.
Qualifying patients can straighten their teeth in half the time with Six Month Smiles®. Forces are carefully calibrated to shift teeth more quickly and efficiently. However, it is important to note that Six Month Smiles is only intended to correct issues affecting the front teeth. If you are concerned about your smile zone, but have no other functional problems, this could be a solution for you.
Many of our adult patients are eligible for clear aligner trays, such as Invisalign® and ClearCorrect®. In fact, clear aligners can correct most of the same issues as traditional braces, with the exception of severe malocclusion. Our team can help you determine if this option is right for you.
Benefits of Clear Braces
Clear braces boast a number of benefits, particularly for our adult patients. Here are a few advantages to consider:
- Clear braces are just as effective as conventional metal braces. They offer the same advantages with added discretion.
- In addition to enhancing your appearance, clear braces improve your overall oral health and function.
- Clear braces can help you achieve the smile you desire, giving your confidence and self-esteem a boost.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
The only disadvantage of clear braces is that they are more prone to staining than their conventional counterparts. And, like traditional braces, clear braces must be maintained properly to reduce the risk of cavities. Below, we explore a few tips for keeping your clear braces in tip-top shape.
How to Properly Care for Clear Braces
To prevent stains and reduce the risk of decay, proper at-home hygiene must be observed. Here are a few recommendations:
- Swish with water after every meal. This helps wash away food particles and other debris to prevent discoloration.
- Brush 30 minutes after eating. Never brush immediately after eating. Doing so can actually cause abrasions in the tooth enamel.
- Avoid tobacco products. Smoking can discolor clear braces the same way it stains teeth. Kicking the habit will not only improve your appearance, but your overall health as well.
- Steer clear of dark-colored foods and beverages. Things like tea, coffee, tomato sauce, and other dark substances can stain your clear braces over time. Consume these foods and beverages in moderation.
- Visit your orthodontist regularly. To ensure that your treatment is going as expected, see your orthodontist for routine appointments.
Schedule a Clear Braces Consultation at Our Practice
If you are considering clear braces to straighten your teeth, schedule a visit at our orthodontic practice. Contact us online anytime or give us a call at (610) 617-0700.