Time Is On Your Side: Adult Braces Treatment Timeline
By Kellyn Hodges on November 04, 2015
When most adults realize that they require orthodontic treatment, the first question that comes out of their mouths is not usually “How much,” but rather “How long?” Most patients of our orthodontic practice are willing to undergo treatment with adult braces if it means achieving more uniform, aesthetically pleasing smiles; however, many are concerned about the time commitments involved. Dr. Kellyn W. Hodges discusses all of the treatment options available to patients during confidential, one-on-one consultations, explaining in detail the timelines associated with each, as well as the risks and benefits, and the results that can be expected. By explaining the adult braces treatment timeline at her Philadelphia, PA orthodontic practice, Dr. Hodges enables her patients to make the most confident and educated decisions possible regarding their care.
Factors That Influence the Adult Braces Treatment Timeline
There are many factors that can influence the amount of time that it will take to complete treatment with adult braces. These factors include:
- The type of orthodontic treatment used: Dr. Hodges offers several treatment methods that are suitable for adults, including traditional metal braces, fast acting adult braces, and Invisalign®.
- Treatment goals: Patients with primarily aesthetic goals may be good candidates for fast acting adult braces, which produce desired results more quickly than their traditional counterparts.
- Severity of orthodontic issue: Obviously, patients with severe orthodontic issues will require longer treatment times than those with mild or moderate orthodontic issues.
- The patient’s ability to follow direction: The success of orthodontic treatments such as Invisalign® is dependent upon the patient’s ability to follow instructions provided by Dr. Hodges to the absolute letter. In the case of Invisalign®, for example, the clear retainers must be worn for at least 20 to 22 hours a day and may be removed only for eating, brushing, and flossing. If patients fail to wear the aligners as recommended, then treatment time will be prolonged.
Average Timelines for Adult Braces Treatments
While the precise timeline for your treatment will be influenced by multiple factors, including those detailed above, here are the average timelines associated with the following adult braces treatments available at the orthodontic practice of Dr. Kellyn W. Hodges:
- Traditional metal braces: Treatment times with traditional metal braces can vary widely; however, the average time is approximately two-and-a-half years. Adults with moderate to severe orthodontic issues generally require longer treatment times than children with similar issues due to the fact that their oral tissues are less malleable.
- Fast acting adult braces (FAAB): Using the FAAB technique, Dr. Hodges would treat only the anterior, or most visible, teeth. This is essentially a cosmetic technique, designed to produce a more aesthetically appealing smile, and requires about eight months on average.
- Invisalign®: On average, it takes about a year to complete orthodontic therapy using these custom plastic aligners. However, not all patients will be good candidates for this treatment.
- Wilckodontics: This alternative to treatment with traditional metal braces alone uses oral surgery in combination with traditional metal braces to accelerate results. On average, treatment requires approximately seven months.
Learn More about Adult Braces Treatment Timeline
To learn more about adult braces treatment timelines, please contact the orthodontic practice of Dr. Kellyn W. Hodges today.