Braces or Invisalign®: Which Is Right for Me?
The smile can be one of our greatest features; but if it is flawed by alignment problems, it can become a source of embarrassment instead. Overcrowded and crooked teeth can create a smile that is unattractive and it can also cause health problems for the teeth, gums, and jaw. That is why orthodontist Kellyn Hodges focuses the practice on straightening the teeth in order to improve the health and aesthetics of patients’ smiles. There are actually several orthodontic treatments for patients to consider when the teeth are misaligned, with the two most popular among our Philadelphia patients being traditional braces and Invisalign®. Dr. Hodges helps patients understand the similarities and differences between braces and Invisalign® so that they can make an informed decision regarding their own best treatment option.
With all of the advances in dentistry, and orthodontics in particular, traditional braces remain the most popular orthodontic treatment among Dr. Hodges patients. Traditional braces involve the placement of brackets and wires on the teeth. These forcibly shift the teeth into proper alignment, a process that takes place gradually throughout treatment. The average treatment with braces takes about 12 months. Below are some of the pros and cons of braces.
- Braces are the most affordable orthodontic treatment
- Braces have the longest track record of proven success
- Treatment with braces can cause some discomfort for patients
- Special care and food restrictions are necessary to prevent damage to the braces
- Braces stand out and some patients believe that they compromise the aesthetics of the smile
Invisalign® is a newer orthodontic treatment that has been growing in popularity in recent years. Like traditional braces, Invisalign® treatment is used to slowly shift the teeth until proper alignment is achieved. However, instead of using brackets and wires, the teeth are shifted with the use of a series of aligner trays. These trays are made of a clear, BPA-free plastic that fit comfortably on the teeth and are difficult for others to see. Invisalign® treatment has been proven to achieve results similar to those of braces in about the same amount of time, with an average treatment being nine to 12 months. Some of the pros and cons of braces can be found below.
- Invisalign® is the most discreet orthodontic treatment because the aligners are virtually invisible
- Invisalign® aligners can be removed throughout the day when patients are eating or caring for the teeth
- Treatment with Invisalign® is completely comfortable for patients
- Invisalign® treatment is slightly more expensive than traditional braces
- Because Invisalign® aligners can be removed, they can be easily lost or misplaced
- Treatment will be negatively affected if the aligners are not worn for at least 22 hours a day
Schedule an Appointment
If you would like to avoid oral health problems and improve the appearance of the smile by straightening the teeth through orthodontic treatment, schedule an appointment with Dr. Kellyn Hodges at your earliest convenience. Dr. Hodges will help you navigate the many choices available when it comes to orthodontic treatment so that you can choose an option that best meets your timeline, lifestyle, and finances.